Dr. Aaron Lamar Jr. Scholarship
The Aaron Lamar, Jr. Scholarship is a non-renewable scholarship established in an effort to honor Aaron Lamar, Jr., Ed.D., who served UAB for 25 years as the Associate Vice President and Dean of Students. Dr. Lamar was responsible for the growth and development of many programs and activities at the University. While Dean Lamar certainly valued scholarship, he greatly valued the total development of students through their involvement in co-curricular and community activities. He also valued the diversity of the collegiate environment, believing that this was integral to the education process.
This scholarship is distributed annually by The Office of Student Involvement and Leadership. One recipient will be awarded for the fall 2019 semester; the award amount varies between $1,000 and $1,500.
- Be currently enrolled in a degree seeking program at UAB
- Have earned a minimum, overall GPA of 2.5 in course work prior to the time of application and be in good academic standing
- Be classified as a Sophomore, Junior, or Senior undergraduate student (senior students must be returning as a full-time UAB student in fall of 2019)
- Have demonstrated active participation and leadership in extracurricular and community activities
The following must be included in the General Scholarship Application to be fully considered:
- Resume (highlighting campus involvement/leadership, community service, and student employment if applicable)
- 1 letter of recommendation from a person who can comment on your leadership on campus and/or in the UAB/Birmingham community.